The Edgemont Community Association (“ECA”) has chosen SoccerTech to be its sole provider for the recreational soccer program in Edgemont. SoccerTech is an experienced and respected provider of recreational soccer programming for several communities in Calgary. Information will be provided in the coming days on how participants will be able to sign up for soccer in Edgemont via online registration. The program will be called Edgemont Community Association Recreational Soccer by SoccerTech.
Last year CAHA, operating as Edgemont Soccer, was given a one year trial period to run the recreational soccer program under a different structure than previous years. After a thorough review of the program, it was determined that the ECA should regain control of the recreational soccer program in our community by retaining our historic rights to field permits, and seeking a contracted provider to run its program. CAHA was our first choice and was requested to submit a proposal to provide that service.
Retaining the historical rights to the field permits gives the ECA the ability to make decisions about the quality, cost and mostly importantly, the safety of the soccer program and any other programs using those fields. Based on input from the community survey last year, programs were a high area of concern and interest for residents. All of this considered, the ECA determined that maintaining the field permits and regaining control of the Edgemont recreational soccer program and other programs initiated by the ECA, is of upmost importance.
With all this information in mind, plus an assessment of CAHA's performance in operating the 2018 season program, the ECA set a deadline for a contract proposal from CAHA, which would maintain a relationship between CAHA and the ECA. CAHA chose not to submit a proposal and the ECA took action to look at other soccer program providers to ensure that there would be no disruption to recreational soccer in Edgemont. This was not an easy decision for the ECA, as we recognize that many players and parents enjoyed CAHA’s program last summer. However, the ECA felt it was in the best interest of the community to ensure that the field permit ownership rights stayed within the community of Edgemont.
We know that the residents of Edgemont will be very happy with our new provider, SoccerTech. Some of the features of the ECA’s new program include:
- Same fields (in Edgemont) and similar times as last year
- ECA membership included with registration
- Jerseys, socks, shorts, soccer ball and photos for all registered players
- Participation medal for U4-U10 registrants
- Wind up party at the Edgemont Community Centre
- Financial contribution from the ECA to maintain affordability
- Affiliation with Calgary Minor Soccer Association (CMSA), the Alberta Soccer Association (ASA) and Canada Soccer
- Improved coach training for volunteers and improved safety for children
- Enhanced security of personal information for players and families
- Increased level of insurance from CMSA and ASA
- Junior coaching support from competitive players in addition to volunteer coaches
- Quality programming, equipment and field maintenance by an experienced provider
Registration for the ECA recreational soccer program will be available in the next few days. The recreational soccer program will be called Edgemont Community Association Recreational Soccer by SoccerTech.
Please note that the ECA has no affiliation with the program currently being advertised as Edgemont Soccer and Edgemont Soccer no longer has rights to the Edgemont fields that they used last year.
It is the ECA’s intention to host a soccer open house next week to answer any questions the community may have about the new soccer program, details will be announced shortly. We thank the Edgemont community for their patience while we worked through this process and we look forward to another great soccer season in Edgemont!